1098-T Tax Form Information

1098-T Tax forms will be mailed out by January 31st.

An electronic copy of your 1098-T tax form can be found on Hornet HQ.

Kalamazoo College Reporting Method

Starting in Tax Year 2018 Kalamazoo College’s reporting method changed. Prior to 2018, colleges and universities were allowed to report either amounts paid for Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE) in Box 1 or amounts billed in Box 2. Beginning in 2018, institutions are required to report amounts paid for QTRE in Box 1

This change is significant because the amounts reported in Box 1 include all payments applied during the tax year to the student’s account including: checks, credit cards, cash, loans, scholarships and grants.

The amounts reported in Box 5 are Scholarships and Grants.

To determaine what was paid for QTRE, you would take the amount from Box 1 and subtract the amount from Box 5.

Please note

Qualified tuition and related expenses are tuition, fees, and course materials required for a student to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.

The following are not qualified tuition and related expenses.

  • Amounts paid for any course or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies, unless the course or other education is part of the student’s degree program or is taken to acquire or improve job skills.
  • Charges and fees for room, board, insurance, medical expenses (including student health fees), transportation, and similar personal, living, or family expenses.

We strongly encourage you to refer to your billing statements for quarters occurring during the calendar year to obtain information appropriate for claiming tax benefits related to qualified education expenses. In addition, we recommend that you consult your tax advisor to discuss your individual facts and circumstances. Copies of receipts can be found online through your Hornet HQ account.

1098-T Questions

What if my Social Security Number (SSN) is incorrect on the 1098-T?

To update your SSN with Kalamazoo College you must bring your original SSN card to the Registrar’s Office. After doing so, please notify the Students Accounts Office that your SSN has been updated with the college via email at, billing@kzoo.edu. Once we have updated your 1098-T you will be notified via your Kalamazoo College email.

What if my Social Security Number (SSN) is missing on the 1098-T?

Complete the Substitute W-9S electronic form.

Additional Resources

Below are resources that can provide additional help in completing your taxes.