Frequently Asked Questions


When is my tuition due?

Tuition, Room, Board and fees are due on the first day of classes each term.

How do I pay for my student’s account balance and can I pay with a credit card?

Parents, guardians, or other users who have been allowed access to make payments to a student’s account or on the student’s behalf, please see further information and instruction for Proxy Accounts on the Information Services website.

You can pay online with Visa, MasterCard and Discover. If paying with Visa, MasterCard or Discover there will be a convenience fee charged of 2.5%.

Who should I contact if I have questions about charges on my registration statement?

Below is a list of departments and contact numbers that can assist with questions on your statement:

Tuition, Room, Board, Mandatory Fees, and Late Fee – Student Accounts Office
Phone: 269.337.7226

Financial Aid Office for Questions on Financial Aid – Financial Aid
Phone: 269.337.7192

Study Abroad QuestionsCenter for International Programs
Phone: 269.337.7133

Bookstore Textbook Rental ChargesBookstore
Phone: 269.337.7317
Bookstore Support Contact Form

Parking Ticket and Replaced ID CardsCampus Safety
Phone: 269.337.7321

Health Center FeesHealth Center
Phone: 269.337.7200

Counseling Center Fee Counseling Center
Phone: 269.337.7440

Improper/Incomplete Check Out, Excessive Lock Outs, Room Damage and Recore RoomResidential Life
Phone: 269.337.7210

Athletic InsuranceAthletic Department
Phone: 269.337.7082

Upjohn Library for Library FinesLibrary
Phone: 269.337.7153

How much will my tuition increase if I take four units instead of three?

A normal course load is three units. If a student takes three or four courses, the tuition cost remains the same.

Where can I find out how much I owe on my student account?

Using your Knet ID and password you can verify your account balance via the Hornet HQ.

What is athletic insurance?

Each student-athlete will be charged a $50 fee every academic year to offset some of the cost for the college’s athletic insurance policy. Only injuries that occur as a result of participation in a sport during the season (including non-traditional season) will be covered. The policy does not cover illnesses and chronic injuries such as tendonitis.

What happens if I don’t pay my account balance on time?

Balances not paid by the due date will be considered past due; students will be assessed a late charge of 1.5 percent per month on any past due balance. In addition, a registration hold will be placed on the student’s account Monday of 6th week preventing registration for the following quarter. Lastly, the registration hold will become an administrative withdrawal from the college as of 5pm on the 1st day of the following quarter. The hold will be removed once the balance is paid or the student has made acceptable payments arrangements with the Student Accounts office.

What happens if I lose my registration statement?

Students can access copies of their registration statements 24/7 online through Hornet HQ. Students can log in using your Knet ID and password.

Where do I mail my payments?

Payments should be mailed with the Student’s ID number on the check to:
Kalamazoo College
1200 Academy Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49006
Attn: Student Accounts

My financial circumstances have changed and I’m having difficulty paying by the due date. How do I make alternative payment arrangements with the Student Accounts Office?

Please contact the Student Accounts Office by phone at 269.337.7226 or by email at We expect a high volume of phone calls and walk-in traffic during the first few weeks of each quarter and we ask for your patience as we attempt to get back to you as soon as possible. You may experience a quicker response time by contacting us via email with your question or concern (be as detailed as possible), a phone number where you can be reached, and the best time to call.

Financial Aid

How do I decline and/or reduce my federal student loans for this academic year?

You can decline and/or reduce your federal student loans by completing the Loan Adjustment Form.

Meal Plans

Am I required to have a meal plan?

All students living in the residence halls are required to carry a residential meal plan with the exception of students who live in Living Learning Housing Units and campus apartments. Students living in LLHUs or campus apartments who wish to drop the meal plan need to send an email request to during the meal plan change period.

When can I change my meal plan?

Meal plans can be changed starting about a month prior to the start of the term through Thursday of the first week of classes.

Payment Plans

How do I sign up for a payment plan?

Students can sign up for a payment plan by visiting the Payment Plan Information page.

Student Account Refunds

How do I enroll for electronic refunds or direct deposit?

Signing up for electronic refunds or direct deposit will allow the student account refunds to be deposited directly into your checking or saving account. Visit the Direct Deposit page on the Payroll website for more information.

How often are Financial Aid credit balances refunded?

Financial Aid refunds will be processed after the start of each term and then processed regularly thereafter. A refund check will be placed in your campus mailbox or mailed to your address on file if on study abroad or direct deposited into a bank account. If your parent has a PLUS Loan, the excess funds will be mailed as a check to the address on the application.